Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Incoming Manchu

I often hear the question, Hey Steven Vogeler, proprietor of this here SvenBlog, what makes you think you have what it takes to blog? And when I tell them that I, Steven Vogeler, proprietor of this here Svenblog only does it for the glory, they look at me as if I may have somehow shamelessly duped them into assisting me with obtaining data on how my blog shows up in search queries. And they may be right.

Remember how the Svenblog contingent was all ready to cancel their subscriptions to Asian Thumbs after China fragged their own Satellite? Well it seems the rest of the world has finally stopped applauding now that they realize all of their precious satellites are now in danger of colliding with some of that yellow tech debris speeding about in loopy orbits at speed upto 10,000 miles per hour.

Long gone are the days when space junk was little more than Monkey parts and the Norton Belt.Today that empty space is a wasteland of blindsiding projectiles. Every thing from Gemini 4 astronaut Edward Whites lost glove to the Vanguard I, launched in 1958 are careening about, destined for re-entry, the Mir or some poor cosmonaut's double wrapped meat sack.

And since we here at Steven Vogeler's Svenblog are big fans of all things cartographical, I now provide you with an approximate map of all the space junk orbiting this mortal coil.

And also for contrast, I give you this rather uncomplicated yet simple cartographical view of something a bit closer to home, Earth junk just doesn't do it justice one would think.


And finally I bring us around to that junk that really sends us for a loop the junk in our trunk that is our DNA. Watch this hypnotic video and forget about all the moon dust and paint flakes that behead future escapees and groove on the almost absolute density of the subject matter and the jabborwockian narration of the seemingly disembodied speaker.

Listen closely as I did and it sounds like some permutation of Latin, now long dead, yet still trying to communicate from deep within. A language not so much lost as absorbed. To consider how these ancient and microscopic systems demand new nomenclature is to consider new worlds, new life.

Amongst the phantasmic jargon and recombinant suffixes, the only verbs I recognized from the narration were secrete, diffuse, activate, trigger, cluster, immobilize, reorganize, migrate, insert.
Sounds like an average day on any scale.

No comments: