Thursday, March 22, 2007

So I've been re watching a lot of Peter Greenaway flicks lately and last nights addition was the aptly title The Cook the Thief His Wife and her Lover.

I recall seeing this feature a few times before, but it only looked familiar. So the story seemed new to me.

But I am not here to talk about the film, I just need to note an observation I had while watching this film.


The Bad Guy in the story,Albert Spica- played by Michael Gambone, is a hideous self absorbed thug without a clue as to his vulgarness. Every thing about this character seems to be the prototype of another clueless self absorbed bully Ricky Gervais's David Brent.

Although Greenaway's brute is a disagreeable wife beating murderer with a penchant for scatological violence-he really makes you like him when he shivs a eunuch child-
one must remember he is after all English.

Even though David Brent is a short sighted selfish sycophantic tyrant unable to mask his extraordinary ability to suck-up one wonders how he may behave if he knew his wife was making hot love in the dank blue light of a spider infested mop closet behind the coke machine on the second floor?

No comments: